If you read much or talk to us "alternative" types about pregnancy, birth, and infant ideas, you might come across something called EC, or elimination communication. Sounds like a technical seminar, right? Actually, it's a "new" technique of communicating with babies about their urination and bowel movements in order to train them to use a toilet or bowl rather than go in their diapers. The experts say that babies are born recognizing these urges, but can't communicate them, or get to the toilet. So, you listen, take them at key times, make a little water tinkling noise, and watch them become accustomed to going in the toilet rather than becoming accustomed to ignoring their urges (and going in their pants). Interesting concept.
Now flash back a few thousand years in China, where clothing was plain and cloth used for more important tasks than catching poop. So even though this is a trend picking up in the US, it's an ancient trend in China, and we saw it all the time while we were there. I can't vouch for the "signals" that parents should be watching for (a kid peed on my shoe while being held in his grandfather's arms, in the middle of a department store), but most of the other principles are the same. Most of the news stories and even the website diaperfreebaby.org don't really give enough credit to the cultures of the past that have carried this into the present time. It details the history of a couple of Western women, but leaves out the hundreds of millions of Chinese parents who practice this every day. At least get an interview or something - jeez.
I'm hoping to have communication about lots of things, but I'm not going to name them as such: "lactation communication," "slumberation communication," etc.
Haha, love the pic! I remember being baffled by the idea of potty training when I first came to the States... I guess back home my parents just knew when I needed to go (or if they didn't, you saw the consequence :) I think the water tinkling noise was a big help.
ReplyDeleteHa! You are too funny lady. Lactation communication. :) I agree 100% w EC being ancient (as are natural birth, attachment parenting, breastfeeding, & the list goes on). I have a few friends who have done EC w their babes & I can say that if you really want to do that you need to be one WATCHful parent. Sometimes the cues are grimaces or grunts, or even changes in body movements. I wasn't successful w either of mine; I could tell AS they were doing 'it,' but not usually that critical second before. I was MUCH better at the hungry/sleepy signals, which to me were more pronounced. I think cloth diapering did help us become more aware of what was going on in the diaper, though. ;) Blessings to y'all 3!
ReplyDelete